“A Person Who Enhanced National Prestige” — Buddhist Temple Director Calls for Medical Bail for 95-Year-Old ManHee Lee
On the morning of 22nd September, Won-jung Park, Director of Sugyesa Temple, held a one-person protest outside the Seoul Central District Court, calling for medical bail for 95-year-old Chairman ManHee Lee.
His picket sign read: “Chairman ManHee Lee, a super-elderly man at 95 years old suffering from a fractured spine, is enduring pain in the detention centre. Please grant him bail so that he can receive treatment.”
Park said, “I believe the charges applied to Chairman Lee are contrary to the facts,” adding, “Looking at this matter, I also felt that it was an unjust persecution of religion.”
He explained that his decision to participate followed encounters with interfaith initiatives and peace activities. “Through interaction with the Religious Unity Office and the peace organisation HWPL, the misunderstandings I had about the Chairman were resolved and my perception improved,” he said. “Although I am a mere individual, I participated with the hope that the Chairman’s medical bail would be granted soon.”
Park said that standing alone outside the court initially felt unfamiliar, but the experience prompted him to reflect on the importance of judging others based on facts rather than religious differences.
“I thought someone might pick a fight or provoke me during the protest, but I stayed in my place undisturbed under the blue sky and white clouds,” he said. “I hope we can become a society where we can respect and talk to each other, even if we have different religions.”
After completing the protest, Park remained at the site and voluntarily cleaned up rubbish in the surrounding area.
Reflecting on the experience, he said, “This one-person protest was a time for me to reflect on myself.” He added, “I hope that the Chairman will not be in prison at least for the Chuseok holiday and that his medical bail will be granted soon.”
Park also expressed hope for a society in which people can respect different beliefs and address disagreements through dialogue and understanding rather than conflict and misunderstanding.
Source: vo.la/IXHgf0R

0 comments