“A Decision We Will Not Be Ashamed of Before Future Generations” ─ Pastor Holds One-Man Protest, Urging Release of Chairman ManHee Lee on Bail
Pastor Geum-seop Jeong of Hanulmun Church held a one-person protest outside the Seoul Central District Court on the afternoon of the 9th, appealing for humanitarian bail for Chairman ManHee Lee (95).
Holding a picket sign, Pastor Jeong urged the court to consider Chairman Lee’s age and health, saying: “Your Honour, please consider the value of human life alongside the weight of the law. I earnestly appeal for humanitarian bail for Chairman ManHee Lee, who is 95 years old and in very advanced age.”
Pastor Jeong said he felt compelled to act as both a religious leader and citizen after seeing the difficulties faced by elderly war veterans.
“I wanted to ask whether it is right for the state to treat someone this way—someone who once risked his life to defend and save the country, and who has continued to put his beliefs into practice as a person of faith,” he said.
He also questioned whether such treatment reflected the values of a modern Korea.
“I felt a sense of shame as I wondered whether it was appropriate for a modern Korea, a country at the forefront of the global Korean Wave, to show this side of itself,” he said.
Pastor Jeong stressed that the judiciary should not be unduly influenced by public opinion.
“If prosecutors and the courts become too conscious of public opinion, they may ultimately undermine their own authority and standing,” he said. “If we want to build a society that will not be ashamed before history or future generations, we must first approach these matters with conscience, a broad perspective, and respect for human dignity.”
He appealed to the court to consider the circumstances from a human perspective.
“I hope that everyone will take the time to look deeply into this situation by imagining themselves in the same position,” he said. “I sincerely hope the court will grant bail while considering not only the seriousness of the law, but also the value of a person’s life and health.”
Pastor Jeong said he was encouraged by the response of citizens who passed the protest site, noting that many stopped to read his signs.
“Seeing their warm and understanding expressions, I felt hopeful that a positive outcome might be possible,” he said.
He concluded by emphasising the importance of empathy and dialogue in overcoming social divisions.
“To lessen the unnecessary burden caused by conflict, we need to talk with one another more, try to see things from each other’s perspective, and find ways to grow together,” he said.
“As I watched the warm and compassionate looks of the citizens at the protest site, I felt a great sense of hope. I eagerly look forward to the day when God’s love fills the entire world and joyful hymns can be heard everywhere.”
Source: https://vo.la/giNEw84

0 comments