“If I Could, I Would Perform 3000 Bows” — Venerable Jagyeong Appeals for Bail for 95-Year-Old Chairman ManHee Lee
At 8am on the 28th, Venerable Jagyeong, head monk of Hwamyeongsa Temple of the Jogye Order of Korean Buddhism, held a one-person protest in front of the Seoul Central District Court, calling for bail and the release of 95-year-old Chairman ManHee Lee.
His picket sign read: “Your Honour, I earnestly appeal with the heart of a child worried about their elderly parent. Please grant bail to 95-year-old Chairman ManHee Lee as soon as possible.”
Despite difficulties at the scene, Venerable Jagyeong remained calm and respectful, bowing to each vehicle entering the courthouse.
“I wanted to perform 3000 bows,” he said. “Since I couldn’t due to the circumstances, I greeted those entering the courthouse instead.”
Overcome with emotion, he added, “I only hope for good news from the Chairman,” and briefly shed tears.
Passersby also offered words of encouragement, with one citizen telling him, “Stay strong.” Venerable Jagyeong thanked them and continued his protest.
Ahead of the first trial in September, he stressed the importance of continued attention and action, saying, “It is important to continue taking action until the first trial. I may appear again, so please contact me anytime.”
Though brief and peaceful, the protest conveyed a heartfelt appeal for consideration of the health, dignity, and human rights of the elderly.
Source: vo.la/sVhpdob

0 comments