[Interview] “I've given blood more than 500 times, but this group blood donation by Shincheonji was unique”

by - 09:03

✦  Deacon Choi completes his 538th blood donation since his high school days

[Cheonji Ilbo = Reporter Ga-hyun Kim] As Shincheonji Church of Jesus, the Temple of the Tabernacle of the Testimony (Shincheonji Church of Jesus, Chairman Man-hee Lee) conducts its collective 'Live-ON Blood Donation Campaign' in Korea nationwide, 6 blood donor centres in Ulsan have opened since the 18th. Among one of them, I met Deacon Byung-hyeok Choi of Ulsan Church (Andrew tribe) of Shincheonji Church of Jesus, who was donating blood on the first day of the campaign at the Blood Donor Centre located in Namgu Industrial Tower. 

He said that he had first donated blood at a bloodmobile during his high school days, and since 1997, has consistently donated blood twice a month, totalling 537 blood donations to date.

When asked how he felt about participating in the group blood donation campaign, he said, “I've always gone to blood donor centres to give blood with acquaintances, church friends or alone, but this time round, I found it particularly meaningful that the church is holding a nationwide campaign to alleviate the Coronavirus pandemic.” 

“Honestly, at first, I donated blood because I wanted snacks and souvenirs,” he says with a smile, while speaking about the warmth of seeing many church members complete questionnaires and donate blood together. 

“If you donate blood consistently, the blood supply will naturally increase. We've donated blood in order to help those in need of emergency surgery or a large amount of blood for transfusion. I've been able to give willingly because I know how beneficial giving blood is and how grateful those who receive blood are. I am naturally moved by this. From that point on, I've made it my mission to ensure I give blood in advance, and I've been able to steadily donate blood where it is most needed.”

In particular, Deacon Choi remembers the time he donated blood to aid with the transfusion of a member of the church where he practises his faith. “A member of our church had an operation and he needed a blood transfusion. He applied for a designated blood donation, so I donated blood three or four times. I was really happy to hear that the surgery was successfully completed. It felt rewarding.”

He reiterates that the greatest benefit of donating blood is giving it where the need is greatest and can be used preciously. He says, “Because I believe that giving blood is a good deed, I have been able to do it consistently under favourable circumstances.”

“When I heard the news that Shincheonji Daegu Church members were donating three rounds of blood plasma, despite the numerous challenges owing to Covid-19, I felt really proud to be a member of this same church,” he said. Reading the report, he added that as a member of Shincheonji Church, he has a renewed mindset to do even more, like the light and salt of the world. 

Therefore, he naturally participated in this blood donation campaign and said, “All fellow Shincheonji members are participating in this blood donation with a similar sense of pride and responsibility. In light of today's happenings, if we continue to donate blood even after today, I believe it will be of some help to society.”

http://www.newscj.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=971196

 ===========================

Shincheonji Church of Jesus' Nationwide 'Live ON' Blood Donation Campaign, 18-30 April 2022

Shincheonji 'Live ON' blood donation campaign: “This is the first time in 30 years working at Gyeonggi Blood Donor Centre that I've witnessed a nationwide blood donation as impactful as that of Shincheonji Church''

Blood Donation to Overcome COVID-19 Pandemic in Korea

You May Also Like

0 comments