“Imprisoned in a Countryside Pension to Undergo Coercive Conversion because of My Life of Faith at Shincheonji Church of Jesus"

by - 22:29

 

On 24th October 2020, Cheonji Daily published an article in Korean entitled, “Imprisoned in a Countryside Pension to Undergo Coercive Conversion because of My Life of Faith at Shincheonji Church of Jesus". This is a translation of that article.

The once unknown term 'forced conversion' became a serious topic in South Korean society in 2008 after Pastor Yong-Sik Jin sent Mrs. Baek-Hyang Jeong to a psychiatric ward in order to carry out forced conversion. He was later punished by law. At that time Pastor Jin, who headed up the Heresy Investigation Committee of the Christian Council of Korea (CCK), forcibly converted believers who belonged to denominations of the established church labelled so-called 'cults', including Mrs. Jeong’s. Such cases began to rise in leaps and bounds. At first, pastors carried out ‘forced conversion’ (also termed ‘deprogramming’ or ‘coercive conversion’) themselves, but later altered their approach. Today, forced conversion pastors instil fear and anxiety in the families of Shincheonji Church members by slandering Shincheonji Church, so that families are deceived into believing their beloved child, wife or parent has fallen into a ‘cult’ and are prone to making immediate hasty decisions. In order to prevent this, forced conversion programs tainted by illegal practices that include kidnap, confinement and violence become the 'last straw' to save the family. In 21st century South Korea, where issues around religious freedom have been brought to the limelight, ‘forced conversion’ continues unabated. This paper intends to serialise the distressing appeals of victims who have had to endure human rights violations and oppression through forced conversion, and are otherwise unable to voice their plea.
        =============================================================
Siblings forced outside their home for conversion
Kidnapped, cuffed and bound 
Violence led to family breakdown

[Cheonji Ilbo = Reporter Kang Soo-kyung] The majority of forced conversion programmes leave indelible scars that do not fade. Victims of forced conversion often experience a recurrence of abuse by their own families following contact with conversion pastors. 

Ms. Ju-hee Song (pseudonym) of Buk district, Gwangju city, suffered violent language and abuse from her parents because of her faith at Shincheonji Church. After two failed attempts by Ms. Song's parents to drag her onto the conversion programme, their third attempt, cunningly devised together with a conversion pastor, achieved their will  Such acts led to a complete breakdown between parents and children. What follows is a full account of Ms. Song's testimony.
        =============================================================
Greetings,
My name is Ju-hee Song, from Buk district, Gwangju Metropolitan City. I am a law-abiding citizen of the Republic of Korea - a country which guarantees 'freedom of religion' - and also a believer in God. 

In March 2010, a fellow sister who shared the same faith as I underwent forced conversion. She called my mother's church directly and informed them that my younger sister and I were members of Shincheonji Church. Before I could speak openly with my family, my faith had suddenly been made known. 

My parents already had a negative perception of Shincheonji Church. Now they deprived me of my cell phone and ordered me to return home no later than 5pm daily. 

One morning, at dawn, I was suddenly awoken to beatings and curses from my father. He had never previously sworn at me. He was furious and even lifted a chair to threaten me. He forced me to attend early morning prayer at the church he and my mother attend. 

During that period, my parents had been receiving ongoing consultation from a conversion pastor. Through acquaintances, my sister had learnt in June 2010 that my parents were busy making preparations for me to undergo the coercive conversion programme. 

I confronted my parents about this and they confessed that they had indeed made such preparations for me to undergo forced conversion. They contacted Shincheonji Church, admitted what they had done and said that they would stop immediately. So my sister and I returned home, and continued to live with Mum and Dad as we had done before. 

However, my parents made preparations for coercive conversion for the second time in winter. We managed to find a way out after their plan was leaked to an acquaintance.

My mother felt no remorse for her lies and was prepared for me to be kidnapped as part of this 'programme'. My sister and I left home to live independent lives and sometimes visited our parents outside. 

During the winter and summer breaks of 2011, my parents had completed preparations for us to undergo forced conversion. 

My younger sister celebrated her university graduation in February 2012. As my father was very fond of the university, he asked me to attend the graduation ceremony. We did so joyfully, taking several family photos. Following celebrations, we got into my father's car and made our way for a family meal. 

At first, my father seemed to be driving towards the intended destination, but after a while he stopped at a remote spot and shouted, “Grab them!” My sister and I were cuffed and bound with rope tied round our arms and legs. Regardless of our cries and pleas, it all fell on deaf ears. 

We stopped off outside a remote pension (lodging) in Hwasoon city, Jeollanam province, where we were dragged outside the car with our mouths taped shut and arms held tightly to prevent us from fleeing. My sister and I had become victims of kidnap. We pleaded with the owner of the pension to intervene, but the owner turned a blind eye. My parents clearly had no intention of letting us go anywhere until we had completed this forced conversion programme.

No one paid any attention to what we had to say about our faith in Shincheonji Church. It was deemed a mental illness that required repeated treatment. My mother continued to wail aloud, insisting that her health had deteriorated because she was unable to eat. 

By day three, I was exhausted from stress and I succumbed to forced conversion. I was taken to 'Pastor A's' church to begin the coercive conversion programme. As soon as my sister and I arrived, 'pastor A' began meting out curses against Shincheonji Church with lies. My sister and I refuted every one of his false and groundless accusations. 

'Pastor A', who had vehemently spewed lies for three hours, told my father that my sister and I were now so immersed in the faith that it would be near-impossible for us to renounce our beliefs and convert. My Dad pleaded with ‘pastor A’, but was assured that nothing could be done. So, on day four  of the kidnap, we returned back home to Gwangju. My younger sister and I had refused to be 'converted' and my parents were devastated.

We were assured that our family would return to living in mutual peace. We would regularly return home weekly to eat and restore broken relationships yet were unaware of their plan to initiate yet another coercive conversion programme.

Then, just five months after the forced conversion attempt in July that year, my parents had arranged for coercive conversion proceedings on a Sunday, when we usually visited and gathered for a family meal. They thought it would be too difficult to convince us to consent to the programme, so they brought our aunt and uncle along. This would leave my sister and I with unimaginable heartbreak and an inability to ever return home. 

After a regular family meal at my parents', I took some rest when, all of a sudden, I saw my aunt and uncle rush in to the room and, without prior mention, violently beat my sister and I. My mouth was wrapped tightly with blue tape, and my hands and feet cuffed and bound with rope. My younger sister was held down tightly and my uncle smacked her head on the floor so many times as she bit his arm in defence. 

My family even tried to stop him. My younger sister was suffocating so my uncle let her head up and told her, "If you scream again, I'll kill you." My sister and I had been taken hostage in our own parents' home. Our neighbours eventually heard our cries and reported it to the police. 

Nevertheless, we were dragged into a car which didn't even belong to my father. My sister and I were taken to a remote studio where we were detained separately. I felt so betrayed by my parents.

Whenever I tried to escape forced confinement inside the studio, I was sworn at and violently treated. Due to extreme exhaustion from ceaseless violence and profanities in confinement, I eventually succumbed to coercive conversion; an all-day experience which lasted from 10am-6pm. I sought any opportunity to escape. By day 25, I managed to open the door of the room I was imprisoned in and, even though my every step was monitored, I was set free and ran away. 

My father talked with the conversion pastor throughout our detainment, receiving feedback such as, "they should stay here a little longer", and, "tell the police this and that"

When I returned to Gwangju, I went to the police station to report a case of kidnap, but the police discouraged me from doing so, saying I would have to sue my own parents if I did so. 

Even though the conversion programme has since ended, I am still looked down upon by my family and am not welcome home as long as I continue my life of faith at Shincheonji Church. Family trust has completely broken down with irreversible damage. 

It begs the question: is it right for these perpetrators, who hide behind religion, to use parents as instruments to carry out human rights abuses whilst evading legal punishment?
=============================================================

Cases of Coercive Conversion (also known as 'Forced Conversion' or 'Deprogramming')
“Forced to Undergo 'Coercive Conversion' Thrice Within Two Years, Even Confined in a Psychiatric Ward Simply Due to My Faith at Shincheonji Church of Jesus"

“Liars Allege that Shincheonji Church Confiscates Property, Destroys Families & Endorses Coercive Conversion. It’s Coercive Conversion Pastors Who Do Such Things!”
https://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/10/liars-allege-that-shincheonji-church.html?m=0

Confined on the 2nd floor of a Police Station to Stop me from Living my Life of Faith at Shincheonji Church. With a Crippled Arm, I Was Dragged Away for Coercive Conversion

Imprisoned for 2½ months in a secluded location in the mountains. My ‘crime’? Being a believer at Shincheonji Church

Although I managed to evade 'coercive conversion' with every pastor in town brought in by fleeing to the army, harassment continued"
https://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/09/although-i-managed-to-evade-coercive.html?m=0

“Incitement of Hatred Towards Shincheonji Tears Families Apart"
http://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/09/incitement-of-hatred-towards.html

“Conversion Pastor Caused Newlyweds to Divorce, Promoting Division and Conflict Among Both Families”
https://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/09/conversion-pastor-caused-newlyweds-to.html?m=0

Drugged and Abducted, Chained and Imprisoned...Yet Police Respond to Three Separate Appeals With the Words "We Can't Help You"
http://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/09/drugged-and-abducted-chained-and.html

“Adult Male Kidnapped, Drugged, Handcuffed & Forced into a Suitcase for the Purpose of Coercive Conversion" (18th June 2020)
http://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/06/adult-male-kidnapped-drugged-handcuffed.html

'Counselling Education'? No - 'Coercive Conversion' & Human Rights Abuses. Controversy Surrounds YTN As Its News Anchor Becomes Head Speaker at CBS' 'Shincheonji Counselling' Programme (June 25th 2020)
http://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/06/counselling-education-no-coercive.html

Coercive Conversion in Present-Day South Korea: Amoral Pastors Who Deceive Parents for Money
http://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/06/coercive-conversion-in-present-day.html

"Mum’s Piercing Words, 'Get out of the House, you Bi*ch!' Yet Later Protested 'Bring Back my Daughter!'" (Cheonji Daily, 10th June 2020)
http://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/06/mums-piercing-words-get-out-of-house.html

"It’s because of 'Shincheonji Church' Vs. 'It's Parents Who Kidnap and Confine their Children'. Who's to blame?" (Cheonji Daily, 5th June 2020)
http://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/06/its-because-of-shincheonji-church-vs.html

“Kidnapped & Confined: Coercive Conversion Abuses Parents’ Love & Must Be Eliminated”
(Cheonji Daily 2nd June 2020)
http://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/06/kidnapped-confined-coercive-conversion.html

“Coercive Conversion Pastor Treated me like an Animal and Instigated Mistrust Within my Family”
(Cheonji Daily 1st June 2020)
http://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/06/coercive-conversion-pastor-treated-me.html

Is This A Communist ‘People's Court'? The Deception of Coercive Conversion
(Cheonji Daily 21st May 2020)
http://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/05/is-this-communist-peoples-court.html

Restrained with Sleeping Pills…Resisted Forced Conversion, but was Assaulted and Eventually Fainted
http://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/05/restrained-with-sleeping-pillsresisted.html

Drugged, Handcuffed, Kidnapped, Confined; it’s OK, they Belong to Shincheonji! Today’s ‘Cult Framing' that Violates Human Rights and Tears Families Apart
http://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/05/drugged-handcuffed-kidnapped-confined.html

“Kidnapped and Confined Without Shower or Food, and Sexually Shamed”
http://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/05/kidnapped-and-confined-without-shower.html

"Family deceived and manipulated into locking up and beating pregnant family member. 'Peace' will be found when truth is revealed"
http://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/05/family-deceived-and-manipulated-into.html

"They forced me to remove my underwear in front of relatives in a car. I'm a 30 year-old woman”
(Cheonji Daily 28th April 2020)
http://noahbrown1984.blogspot.com/2020/04/they-forced-me-to-remove-my-underwear.html

You May Also Like

0 comments